Thursday, March 16, 2017

Springtime and time to start some seeds


It's mid March and it's time to get some seeds going. This year I am trying out a "new to me" black tomato called Japanese Black Trifele. I've grown Russian black tomatoes in the past and yes, they were ugly, but oh so juicy and full of flavor. Hoping these will measure up. These are a smaller tomato (around 2-3 inches on average) but that's good. I should get some fully ripened fruit. The plant is indeterminate which means it will vine and continue to set and ripen fruit up to killing frosts in October.
 Apparently the parent genetics comes from the Russian black so I am hoping for great results.
 I think I will look into getting some red mulch plastic to cover the bed with. With our shorter and cooler summers than what we had in southern Oregon, any way I can get fruit to produce and ripen, then I'm going there.

Also I planted some flower seeds for my hanging baskets at the same time. Got two different varieties of nasturtiums to try out. With the cost of store bought flowers starts and baskets, thought I would grow my own this year.

So last night I dug out an old Aero Garden set up that I had from years past. Viola! the lights still work, so got a 45 cell container out of the greenhouse, some rockwool cubes I found, potting soil and planted seeds today. Word to wise...... be sure to make a list/diagram of what seeds are in each pod! I have the cell container sitting on a cookie sheet under lights, so hopefully should see some seeds pop in a week or two.

It sure is nice to see spring again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enemy of the People??

News media sources are not the enemy of the people. Main stream news organizations do indeed have political leanings (FOX News, CNN etc) ...